Custom Fields gives you choice to create new fields in addition to available default fields. Learn more from Video of Custom Fields.
1. Create A Custom Field
Custom fields are available for all work item types such as Epics, User Stories, Issues and Tasks. A custom field is item specific, so if you want similar custom field for another item type then you have to create a new custom field for that item type.
Note: Users only using Issue Tracker Package will only be able to create custom field for Issues.
To create a custom field:
- Click on the Add New Custom Field button located on top right corner.
- Select field data Type, provide name, description, and values.
- If selected field type requires multiple values, provide field values under Add Options field.
- Select Item type of custom field, where you want to see it (Issue, User Story, Task or Epic).
- Save the changes. Choosing “Save & New” will save the custom field and user can create another new custom field. Choosing Cancel will discard any entries and takes you back to previous page.
Tip: To make a custom field visible in item details, create/edit associated Custom Screen. The Default Screen only shows item System Fields.
2. Edit Custom Fields
A custom field is item type specific, you need to add new custom field to use similar field for another item type. In an existing custom field:What you can change:
- Check/Uncheck “Is numeric only” – available for text field only
- Add Options – available for multi select data types
- Custom field Type (text, dropdown, sprint etc.)
- Data type and Associated item type
Values are stored according to Custom Field Type. If you want to change Field Type, it is recommended to create a new Custom Field instead.
Once an item field is made available to an item type, you cannot change its data “type” and “Available at” values.
Tip: You can hide a custom field from the project users by taking this out from Item custom screen.To edit custom field:
The screen will show you a list of all current Custom Fields. In order to make a change, click on Edit button of the Custom Field.
Tip: Edit a Custom Screen to show/hide an item custom field to project users. You can also make a field mandatory by marking it as “Required”.
3. Delete A Custom Field
Deleting a custom field will remove the field from:
- All associated items by deleting its values against each item
- vanishes from item custom screens for further use
In other words, the custom field will be removed from all the item custom screens that were using it and hence impacts all those projects that are using these screens. In order to delete a field:
Tip: If you want to reuse same custom field for another project later, simply remove the custom field from associated Custom Screen only. Users will no longer able to use it.
4. Associate Custom Field with Custom Screen
Creation of a Custom Field does not associate it with any project item. To include Custom Field as an attribute in an item details, associate it with that Custom Screen. Each item type is associated with a screen by default. Steps to associate a custom field are:
- Create a custom field
- Select Item type for which you want to add custom field to a custom screen.
- Add New Screen or edit existing Custom Screen. Tip: you can duplicate Default Screen as well.
- Add newly created custom field and place it at top or bottom section of custom field area.
- Associate this screen to your project by clicking on Associate on right side panel. Make sure that desired project name is listed in the right side panel of associated projects list.
- Save the changes and open project item in Yodiz application
- Enter value to Custom field that is part of the item details now.
Note: The Default Screen cannot contain any custom field. You can duplicate it and make changes though.
Note: Project’s association with earlier screen and its fields will be removed. Make sure that all needed fields are mentioned in your Custom Screen.