1. Agile Scrum Master Role In Daily Standup, Daily Scrum meeting, Daily Huddle In Agile Methodology
In agile software development daily standup or scrum meeting is a common ritual for many teams, the daily stand-up meeting a.k.a “daily scrum”, “15 minutes meeting” is simple to describe
“The whole team meets daily for a quick status update, meeting take place standing in circle by answering three basic questions”
But, this short definition doesn’t describe the strength of this meeting, this import ritual if practice correctly can bring significant value to the teams. Let’s have a closer look to the daily standup meeting
We already covered the scrum master roles and responsibilities in our previous blog, This blog is to summarise the scrum master roles in daily scrum, daily standup meetings.
2. How to organise daily stand up, scrum meeting in agile methodology
2.1. Agenda for daily scrum, stand-up meeting
All team member should answer those following questions
- What did you do yesterday ?
- What is the plan for today ?
- Any blocker in the work you are doing ?
3. Scrum Master Role In Daily Standup
- Send recursive calendar meeting invitation
- Send recursive calendar meeting invitation to all team member including product owner.
- Choose the morning time which is suitable for every team member, as its good habit to start the day with daily standup, scrum meeting
- Emphasis on punctuality
- Soft penalties for being late, if any team member join the daily scrum late, ask him/her to put 1 $ in the pool, that can be used to buy some candies for team, its just a token to be punctual, shouldn’t be used to offend anyone.
- Record all the problem, open questions, impediments and resolve it later.
- Scrum master interrupt if discussion goes into detail level, as scope of this meeting is sharing information not discussing the problem or solution in detail.
- Don’t delay the standup or daily scrum meeting if some team member arrive late at work
3.1. Example To Keep The daily Standup or Daily Scrum In Early Morning
If any team member can not join on early daytime, here is one real time example given by the agile coach.
One team member (Bob) computing from Germany to Switzerland for work, and he don’t get to work before 10:30 am, most of the team arrive to work around 9 am, scrum master decided to have a call at 9:15 am and include him via the phone call remotely, as train passes through various tunnel so mobile reception is sometimes bad, Bob fond a suitable time spot in his commute when mobile reception is good, so he propose to move the daily scrum from 9:15 to 9:30 am, in that way team don’t have to wait until 10:30 am or later to start the meeting.
4. Duration and style of daily standup or daily scrum meeting
- 5-15 min
- Team should be standing up in circle, team members go one by one to answer the above three questions.
- No detail discussion
5. Participants Of Daily Stand up or Daily Scrum Meeting
- Product Owner (Optional)
- Team members
- Scrum Master (Facilitator)
6. Purpose Of Daily Standup or Daily Scrum Meeting
- Identify as a team
- Sense of sharing common goal
- Increase team synergy of coordinated effort
- Working together toward solving problem and improvements
- Representative from various areas (SW, Testing, DB, UI, marketing, sales,etc) contributing status and progress.
- Resolving problem before it become significant serious impediment
- Don’t limit the meeting to ” i did this…” , “i did that ..”, improve the standup meeting effectiveness of communication, keep the meeting shorten to an optimal length.
- Time the meeting, qualitatively judge how long the meeting should take, as it various on the team size, but 15 min is a good duration for team size of 6-8 team member
- Take it off-line, don’t solve the problem in daily standup meetings.
- Safety net for the team, stand up is the place to raised concern, problem, improvements that can be discussed in detail after the standup